Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Preparation Tidbits, part 1

I have spent the last few months preparing for my upcoming year-long trip in numerous ways, all of which will hopefully be discussed on this blog in the next month or so. Even though I'm still not quite finished with my southern road trip (two entries left!), I felt the following factoid marked a good place to start blogging in the present, rather than the past:

This past weekend I went with my father to MicroCenter, and we purchased an HP Mini Netbook, an adorable 60 GB mini-computer. It is my graduation present and I will be taking it with me on my trip. I'm expecting it to be a combination picture repository, entertainment center, travel agent, long distance phone, and word processor. I will be saving pictures, listening to music, scheduling flights, finding couch surfing or SERVAS hosts, and writing in a journal/writing essays and articles/here on this very blog.

Here is where I show the world exactly how nerdy I am: I have named my new netbook Passepartout, which is pronounced Pahs-partoo. Passepartout is the name of Phileas Fogg's manservant in "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne. I am feeling pretty pleased with myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't forget the Ethernet cable and take backups regularly :p