Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I come to the land down under

I would be lying if I told you I didn't hum that song all the way through customs. Luckily under my breath so I didn't get any weird looks (well, besides the usual.)

So I'm in Sydney. I honestly couldn't tell you how it happened. I mean, I know I just spent 14 hours on a plane and all. But it always boggles my mind to arrive in a new place. No matter how lengthy the trip, it seems a bit miraculous that I stepped off the plane on the other side of the world.

There's so much to say before now, however. I had a great three days in San Francisco with my lovely friends Josie and Linnea, got to see a few people from the college contingent, went to the beach, had fantastic dim sum, ate burritos in the Mission -- the San Francisco requisites. I also want to do some reflecting on what I want this blog to be over the next year, how I want to change it. And to write a bit about how I prepared to take this trip, because it has been, is, and will continue to be an enormous undertaking.

But the people I'm couchsurfing with (more on that in awhile...) don't have wireless, so I will need to snatch bits of internet time as politely as I can from them. Not sure when blogging will happen, but I'll do my best.

First, though, an afternoon nap in the heat of the day (it's 30 degrees Celsius today!), then going into Sydney to have a look at the harbor, the Opera House, etc, and enjoy the warm sun and this new place I find myself in.

It's a hard life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alissa! So your trip has begun... You are going to have some exciting time ahead. Congratulations!

Some advises:
Travel light. In hot weathers drink a lot of water, use suncream and sunglasses.

Change your money to the Local currency as soon as u get there. These are some crazy times and the currency is going to flutuate a lot.

Bring a camera and take as many photos as possible and put them online. These is the best way to keep the memory.

Ask for the facebook and msn of everyone you meet. So you are going to make friends for life.

Let me know if u come to Brazil, ok?

Philip G. said...

lol nice, already in Australia wohoo :)